The first USS NORTH CAROLINA, a 74-gun ship of the line, was launched in Philadelphia, September 1820, and fitted out in Norfolk, Virginia, with Master Commandant Charles W. Morgan in command. A three-masted square-rigger with an overall length of 196 feet 3 inches and beam of 54 feet, she displaced 2,633 tons and carried a complement of 820. As Commodore John Rodgers’ flagship in the Mediterranean from 1825-1827, NORTH CAROLINA symbolized naval might and provided the young republic much-needed prestige and respectability. Her second voyage was in the Pacific Squadron from 1836-1839. Then the Ship-of-the-Line became a receiving [training] ship in New York Navy Yard and was sold for scrap in 1867.